As it is the season of love, we have been thinking about the skills needed to be a successful supply teaching agency matchmaker.
Like a matchmaker who is paid to help people find love, a successful supply teaching agency consultant needs to be equipped with attributes including:
- Relationship management skills.
- People and communication skills.
To ensure candidates and schools present themselves in the best possible and accurate light and to make the perfect match.
Matchmaking for schools
Of course building and maintaining strong relationships with schools has to be at the heart of any successful supply teaching agency business. Therefore when making a match for a school, a good supply teaching agency will deliver:
- A professional service that combines a positive and realistic attitude and the ability to listen and understand the schools needs.
- Excellent lines of communication.
- An excellent vetting service.
So that schools can be confident that they will be introduced to the right person with the right skills and attitude to do the job.
Matchmaking for teachers
Very much like modern dating, a supply teaching agency’s initial contact with a teacher will be online. It will speak to you without actually seeing you.
Although a supply teaching agency will be more interested in a teacher’s CV than its photo, it will be aware that some “artistic license” can be used to embellish attributes!
Where a supply teaching agency differs from an online matchmaker is that it can check up on past performance!
Furthermore, unlike an online matchmaker, a supply teaching agency can ask previous (employment) partners for references.
In fact online matchmakers should take note of this feature of our service. Wouldn’t it be great if you could vet potential partners in terms of:
- Ability to get on with your friends.
- Attendance… and more.
Sorry, I have become distracted. But surely, this would save so much time?!
Back to matchmaking for teachers. A good supply teaching agency will:
- Have great relationships with a wide range of schools.
- Provide a quick and simple job finding service (easy to register and regular updates of available positions).
- Create exceptional job descriptions.
- Provide help and advice to get teachers through the interview process.
- Be skilled in negotiation so teachers can be confident they will benefit from the best rates of pay.
Unfortunately in education recruitment unlike some matchmaking agencies, we do not get the chance to wine and dine our candidates.
However I am going to make a late new year’s resolution to meet as many teachweb teachers as possible for a drink and a chat.
Because that is how teachweb started and that’s what it is all about!
In conclusion, whatever you are doing this Valentines day, enjoy it and know that we are extremely enthusiastic about your relationship with teachweb!
About the Author: Rick Smallwood is a former chemistry teacher and founder of leading London and the South East supply teaching agency teachweb. He has a proven track record of matching the right teachers to the right vacancy.