Cheam High School, Sutton
Address: Chatsworth Road
Postcode: SM3 8PW
Phone: 020 86445790 / 6505
Fax: 020 8641 8611
Website: Cheam High School
Nearest tube or station: train station: Cheam
Cheam High School is an 11 - 19 Foundation co-educational comprehensive school. It has a strong reputation in the locality and is heavily oversubscribed with approximately 800 applicants for 300 places each year.
The school has many strengths, these include:
- High Quality of Provision.
- Strong and effective systems to support high quality teaching.
High quality of provision:
- Specialist language college status due to the excellence of its language provision.
- Artsmark Silver award from the Arts Council to recognise the high quality of work in Art, Drama, Music and Dance.
- Sports mark Award recognising the strong sporting ethos of the school and the high standard of its many extra curricular activities.
- Leading department status in English and Science within the Borough.
- Very good range of extracurricular trips, visits and activities
- Strong and supportive pastoral system.
- High standards of teaching : Ofsted graded our teaching as good across all three key stages, with 78% of lessons good or better and 36% of lessons graded as outstanding (very good or excellent).
- Good relationships between pupils and staff and between peers with good and very good behaviour in and out of lessons (Ofsted).
- Very good learning support within the school.
- Strong ethos of staff development including external INSET and in-house training programmes; Investors in People Award.
- Computers in every teaching room, networked to management system, supporting access to teaching resources and administration; strong emphasis on ICT in the school to minimise bureaucracy including email and internet/intranet access. Data projectors in most classrooms.
- Excellent reprographics department who support duplication and design of materials, lamination, booklets and prospectus material as well as parents' weekly flyer.
- Dedicated administrative support; new responsibilities devised to help with year and department management.
- Excellent administration team who manage funds and collection as well as attendance tracking and a variety of analysis to support evaluation.
- AVA support and training including hardware and equipment care.
- ICT technician support for departments/year teams and whole school network.
- Very effective learning support team who work supporting students in classrooms as well as providing extra additional support activities including homework clubs.
- Teachers released from invigilation in most internal and external examinations to support development work.
ofsted report in 2007
" Cheam High School is an outstanding school that raises the aispirations of students so they make outstanding progress and have high academic attainment. A significant factor in Cheam's success is the respect that all members of the school show each other.Staff at all levels place students' academic acheievement, personal development and well-being at the forefront of their work'